Thursday, May 19, 2016

The aftermath of teenage pregnancy – Namibian

• SASKIA BREUER and CONSTANCE MUPARADZI
STEPHANIE is a 19−year−old mother of two, that was born and educated in Windhoek.

She grew up under the care of her mother and grandmother. Her kids – two and one−year old – are currently being kept at an orphanage.

Since failing Grade 10, she never ever discovered a task to sustain herself and the children.

Stephanie fell pregnant while she joined Grade 10. Her family blamed her for the predicament. Even at school, it was not basic for her to be along with friends and classmates.

As time went by, others schoolchildren noticed the modifications happening to Stephanie.

“They started bullying me, – psycho bullying me by writing on walls. I lost friends as they turned away from me,” she said along with tears welling up in her eyes.

Clinical psychologist Ute Sinkala explained that kids that suffer from depression frequently feel worthless and hopeless. So did Stephanie.

“I used to cry much as a result of insecurity and deep loneliness.”

With no assistance from her family and everyone else operating away from her, she ended up in an abusive partnership along with the father of her children. She started feeling helpless Because she wanted to be loved.

“At the beginning, the father of my kids was fairly close to me, however later on he changed his behaviour. He started blaming me for taking the kids to the orphanage. He did not offer any kind of support, and even the family did not offer any kind of assistance to manage the children,” she stated.

Further emotional tension for Stephanie was to see her kids living in an orphanage.

“I came to a point where I did not wish to see my kids since it was as well emotional to see and leave them again. I have actually lived in orphanages myself, so I already know exactly how rough life is there. however I already know I don’t have actually any kind of method to maintain my kids until I have actually finished school and can easily locate a steady job,” she explained.

One positive thing kept her going. She got assistance from her teachers, that encouraged her to keep on along with her studies. “The teachers at school were fairly supportive. They helped me along with books, and clothing for my child.

“It was truly difficult for me Because the majority of of my schoolmates mocked me.”

The media has actually reported that in 2010, at the very least 93 under−15 learners became mothers, and 2 499 girls aged between 15 and 19 conceived.

Surprisingly, there is no evidence to reveal that fathered these children. In 2015, a report released by the education ministry showed that 1 553 girls dropped from school because of pregnancy and 21 boys left school for impregnating several of the girls.

“Schools need to do a lot more in terms of counselling. I believe it truly helps as soon as you talk to somebody and you can easily express your feelings too. I additionally suggest that follow−up counselling is important to support young learners appropriately since in just one counselling session, you cannot grasp fully just what that individual is going through,” said Stephanie.

“After every one of that happened, I am now determined to relocate forward’’, she said. She additionally started a computer road to upgrade her knowledge, and is constantly volunteering for charity organisations. Adore any kind of others teenager, she wishes to complete her studies and come to be someone in life.

“My long−term objectives are to study youth progress and education, to get hold of my kids spine and to remain along with them. We need to be solid and positive as we were advised by the REGAIN psychologists,” Stephanie noted.

She regrets just what happened in her life, and encourages girls to keep on their education and additionally advised women not to depend on others to be happy and never ever to feel sorry for yourself. Stephanie additionally dreams of becoming a counsellor one day.

“I am fairly passionate regarding assisting individuals that are struggling along with life. REGAIN Trust has actually helped me a lot. After the psychological therapy, I am now able to express my feelings and job hard to get hold of my kids back. I am encouraging individuals to seek assistance as well.”

You can easily call REGAIN Trust on hotline 081 / 7033203.