Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Georgia woman hit by high blood pressure after pregnancy – FOX 5 Atlanta

– He’s now 5, however Quinn Urban still feels adore a brand-new gift to his mom Amy.  For years, she and her husband had strained to have actually a baby.  Once she finally got pregnant,  she wanted to understand precisely just what to expect.

“I hate surprises, so I read every little thing I could grab my wrists on,” says Urban.  “And, the books, they do talk concerning complications in pregnancy.”

But, Amy’s pregnancy was easy. The challenging section didn’t come until after Quinn was born.

Within a couple of days after she came house from the hospital, she felted tired, and achy in her neck and shoulders.

” I merely equated (it) to nursing, and attempting to nurse, and looking at my baby,” Urban says.

Then, the headaches began. Severe headaches.

“I merely bear in mind I was taking a shower one night and I had to sit down,” Urban says.  “It was, really, the worst headache of my life.”

Amy’s blood stress was high, however not dangerously so.  So she and her husband waited,  inspect it again at the grocery store.  Regular blood stress 120/80 or lower.

“We couldn’t grab a going through that was reduced compared to 200/100,” Urban says.  “It was quite high.  And at that point, I knew something was actually wrong.”

She and her husband went to the emergency room.

“They took me as soon as possible spine and checked my blood pressure,” she says.  “And the next thing I understand I’m obtaining a CT scan to make certain I’m not checking out have actually a seizure or a stroke.”

Amy had postpartum preeclampsia, or dangerously higher blood pressure.

Northside Hospital cardiologist Lee Padove says they frequently observe pre-eclampsia throughout a pregnancy.  Yet, in rare cases, concerning 5% of the time, the condition occurs in the days after a woman delivers her baby.

“The biggest concern is whether preeclampsia will certainly produce in to eclampsia.  Eclampsia is a seizure disorder.  And that is very, quite life-threatening to the mom.”

“It was absolutely terrifying,” says Urban. “The baby was fine, however I was worried I would certainly not be fine. That’s the problem Along with pre-eclampsia: there is no known cure. It actually is, ‘Let’s observe if this works.’ ”

Fortunately, medication did work. Amy’s blood stress dropped.

Then, 3 years later, she got pregnant again, Along with Daniel.

“I mean our whole motto through the pregnancy was, ‘Allow your faith be bigger compared to your fear.’” Urban says. “And that’s just what we had to do every day, was merely have actually faith that we were checking out make it.”

Again, she had an straightforward pregnancy, and Daniel was safely delivered.   But, a couple of days later, the exact same symptoms.

” I started to having the visual disruptions and the headaches,” she says. “And the second that my blood stress his 140/90, the second it strike that threshold, I was admitted.”

But this time, Amy and the doctors were ready.

“This time it felt adore we can easily deal with it,” she says. “And I felt so monitored and protected in a method that I didn’t feel the initial time. I knew nil was checking out go wrong.”

Amy has actually gained a complete recovery and no much longer calls for medication to manage her blood pressure.