Saturday, April 16, 2016

Jones’ Journey: My pregnancy battle wounds suffered on social media – KSLA-TV

. –

LOUISVILLE, KY (WAVE) – It took me a while to decide exactly what to write for this week’s Jones’ Journey. I’m approaching 33 weeks pregnant, and I can’t wait to fulfill this little creature growing inside of me — a miracle I’ve fallen in adore with the last 8+ months. 

I’d put my your hard earned cash on this baby becoming a soccer star, or kick-boxer. It likes to remind me hourly that its debut is right about the corner. I could go on and on regarding exactly how I’m feeling, exactly what I’m going through emotionally, and I’ll grab to that next week, but I wanted to take a couple of mins to write regarding something that impacts every one of us, not simply me. 

Recently, my co-anchor John Boel posted this picture of me on social media:

GET TO Already know LAUREN JONES
20 points you don’t Already know regarding her
Follow her on Twitter
Like her Facebook page

Working in television, I’ve dealt along with my reasonable share of criticism. It comes along with the the territory and I accepted that years ago. Functioning in this industry for much more compared to a decade, I remember opening handwritten letters from viewers that didn’t enjoy exactly how I pronounced something, exactly how I styled my hair or exactly what clothes I wore. The days of using letter openers are dead; now hurting a person is as basic as typing a sentence on a keyboard and pressing send. 

Behind closed doors, our bosses and consultants share their thoughts on our delivery, and yes, even my wardrobe and hair. It’s section of the task I signed up for. Television is a visual medium and I grab that. Being pregnant, however, while Functioning in TV, is unlike any consultant meeting or handwritten letter I’ve had to read. 

God blessed me along with this physique and blessed me along with this baby. I am proud of the added weight I’ve gained, even if it means my ankles are swollen and my spine feels broken. I am proud that my clothes suit tighter, even if that means I don’t constantly come across as 100-percent put-together. 

I’m proud of my cellulite and my stretch marks. I think of them battle wounds. I’m proud of my spider veins and added dark spots pregnant women develop. I am proud to be me, a mom, that is fortunate enough to experience the greatest gift on the planet: a growing baby. 

When John posted that picture of me throughout a commercial break on WAVE 3 News Sunrise last month, it took off on social media. People and Cosmopolitan magazines shared the picture, and John’s short article went viral, yet not for the need any kind of pregnant woman would certainly have actually wanted. It spread enjoy wild fire, and no quantity of water could extinguish the haters.

The internet articles were regarding “body-shaming.” Initially, I was overwhelmed by well wishes, support and encouragement. I felt section of something bigger, something filled along with so a lot love, Once at that time I was feeling so a lot adore to start with. yet enjoy every one of wonderful things, a couple of hateful comments tried to rain on my parade.

Rather compared to concentrate on a couple of dark clouds, I wanted to celebrate the light. Sure, it hurts to hear exactly how “huge” I am or exactly how “my dress looks enjoy it’s going to bust at the seam.” yet honestly, and unfortunately, I’ve grown used to the hate mail.

It doesn’t, however, make it OK.

It’s never ever OK to put a person down, permit alone a pregnant woman. My heart aches for the middle schoolers that are bullied on social media, or the higher schoolers that commit suicide since a person thinks it’s OK to break them down. In the increasingly explosive globe of social media, it appears enjoy hate is growing enjoy a weed. As a society we have to stand up and put an end to bullying online. Pregnant or not, no one deserves to be belittled for the method they look. I want my daughters, and their Brand-new baby brother or sister, to mature in a globe that allows them to celebrate that they are, devoid of fear of being judged by a person on the various other end of a computer screen.

Making a adjustment starts along with each of us, one individual at a time, one short article at a time. I’m starting that adjustment now. 

Previous Jones’ Trip installments:
+ Week 10: Daddy Drama!
Week 9: My baby is looking enjoy … a baby!
Week 8: Baby has actually so a lot to say after listening to Dave Matthews Band
Week 7: Candid reflections on physique changes
Week 6: My dream, baby!
Week 5: Oh, baby, 2016 will certainly be life-changing
Week 4: Dear Skeptics: The pregnancy yearnings aren’t total baloney!
Week 3: The good, the poor and the ugly of early pregnancy
Week 2: exactly what is Lauren thankful for throughout pregnancy?
Week 1: Lauren Jones is expecting a baby!

Copyright 2016 WAVE 3 News. every one of rights reserved.